[Bio-linux-list] Installing biolinux 8 Google:main/binary-i386/Packages

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Sat May 28 11:24:50 EDT 2016

On 28/05/16 11:51, Jimmy Griffin wrote:
> Anyway to correct the sha1 error message when adding the biolinux repo
> to Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi, Jimmy.

As I'm sure you know SHA1 is seriously flawed and will, eventually, be
replaced. For anyone who doesn't know why this is important read this:

> http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/10/sha1-crypto-algorithm-could-fall-by-2018/

It's the Bio-Linux 8 PPA causing warnings as well as the Google repos:

> W: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 4CCA1EAF950CEE4AB83976DCA040830F7FAC5991 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
> W: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg: Signature by key 3B068FB4789ABE4AEFA3BB491397BC53640DB551 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
> W: http://ppa.launchpad.net/nebc/bio-linux/ubuntu/dists/trusty/InRelease: Signature by key 4A85297A4F26FEE0AE7AC2F4759A8E0E5BA15160 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)

We don't have any Bio-Linux packages for "xenial" yet, so we have to use
the old repo, which uses the SHA1 warning. Please note: This is a
warning, not an error, and is caused by the "trusty" PPA repo config.

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.