[Bio-Linux] Stacks RAD-seq software on Bio-Linux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 07:39:00 EST 2015

Hi Simon,

Please do not try to fix the database by following manual setup
instructions in the upstream documentation.  The entire point of this
packaging exercise was to avoid manual and potentially insecure
configuration of MySQL!

I got a long reply from the Stacks author regarding my approach to the
packaging.  He pointed out that my default assumption of naming the
database after the user was wrong - the database should always be named
after the experiment - which I can easily do (and you can do so now
using the -d flag in any case).  Apart from that he pointed out a couple
of minor issues I will go ahead and change but the database security
settings will stay as they are in the current package.

The actual error you have relates to the debian-sys-maint account which
is a standard part of the Debian MySQL installation and allows the Deb
system scripts to configure the database.  If this account isn't logging
in then there is a problem with your MySQL installation.  Please try
reinitialising it like so:

$ sudo mv /etc/mysql/debian.cnf /etc/mysql/debian.cnf.bak
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow mysql-server-5.5

Does that help?

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England