[Bio-Linux] Updated QIIME package 1.8.0

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 08:10:50 EDT 2014

On 11/03/14 11:53, Tim Booth wrote:
> [...] Aptitude is supposed to work these things out more
> intelligently than apt-get but I'm always wary of intelligent
> software.

Hi, Tim.

Over the years, I've found that "aptitude" has got me out of more holes
than it has got me into ;-)

In particular, I use "aptitude -f" to check APT database consistency.

I agree it doesn't make a lot of difference how you install packages
manually, but my experience is that "apt-get" or "dpkg" both allow some
odd package installations that leave the APT database inconsistent...

I'm not quite sure why they removed it from Ubuntu: It was probably
removed along with "synaptic" to encourage people to use the Canonical
'App' store to install packages instead!

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen