[Bio-Linux] Updated QIIME package 1.8.0

Jan Kim jttkim at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 11 09:09:45 EDT 2014

Dear Tim,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:53:23AM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi Tony and Jason,
>
> Upgrade-system may be worth trying but Bio-Linux has always used
> "cron-apt" for automated updates so Jason will also need to disable that
> before switching to "upgrade-system".  I've switched off unattended
> upgrades on my own machine and I just use the graphical update manager
> that pops up in Unity so that approach should also be fine, as should
> running apt-get or aptitude or synaptic or any of the other package
> managers.
>
> I personally don't like the "aptitude" software and in my opinion they
> removed it from Ubuntu for good reason - it breaks as many things as it
> fixes.  I jsut use apt-get.

out of interest, what's wrong with aptitude? I use that pretty much in
the way you use the graphical package manager, and my understanding is
that it's based on the same Debian package management libraries as
apt-get, dpkg and the GUI based stuff.

Best regards, Jan

 |             email: jttkim at gmail.com                                |
 |             WWW:   http://www.jtkim.dreamhosters.com/              |