[Bio-Linux] System on Parallels broken after updates

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed May 22 09:52:13 EDT 2013

Hi Tauqeer,

It would be nice to have some genome annotation tools on Bio-Linux but I
have to prioritise the needs of our supported NERC user community first.
If a pipeline is big and complicated to install, which these are, they
require correspondingly more effort to set up and maintain as packages
so I can't just add them as a quick job.  Their installation
instructions often ask you to set insecure configurations for the web
server or database servers which may be fine for individual users but I
can't apply these to every Bio-Linux installation.  There are also
licensing issues:

For MAKER, the pipeline itself is free but it depends on some components
(ie. TRF) that, according to the license, cannot be redistributed by
third parties.

Prokka also has the same problem.  Unfortunately the people who make the
tools that these "free" pipelines need explicitly don't want these
incorporating onto systems like Bio-Linux and apply licensing conditions
accordingly.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England