[Bio-Linux] Bandwidth cont.

Alec Colebrook-Clark aleleb at sahfos.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 10:00:25 EDT 2013

Hi Tim and Tony,

> As Tony says, we need you to be a bit more specific about what you are doing on Bio-Linux that "hammers" the WAN.

All I am doing in this particular instance is downloading a collection of large files using 'wget' once I have ssh'd into the machine. I need to experiment more with the limit to see if it has the desired effect but initial tests aren’t looking great. I will have to try this more next week. It is worth noting that any package updates don’t cause an issue but I believe that is to do with their relatively small size.

> It's common to rate-limit APT package updates because this is considered a low-priority operation, but if just downloading a file in Firefox, say, is >snagging up the network then this would seem to be a more serious issue and possibly a network issue.  In normal operation Linux is very well >behaved in accessing the network - for example I run package updates at home over the broadband router and other devices can still access the >internet.

I haven’t tried to see if the issue happens through a GUI. I normally just ssh in and run the download with 'wget'. We have other linux (virtual) machines and they are very well behaved. I shall discuss with the network manager to see if he can think of anything that might cause this.

> However, The way that "wget" and "sftp" limit bandwidth is by sleeping between blocks as the transfer proceeds. You're right that it won't make >much difference on a system that is not limited by CPU resources.

The machine isn’t limited on CPU but I shall look into it nonetheless.

Thanks both for the advice, I have some further ideas now to try and tackle this problem!
Alec