[Bio-Linux] Installing bio-linux

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:47:58 EST 2011

On 14/11/11 14:18, Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The installer is definitely able to resize Windows in basic situations,
> but maybe your partition layout has stumped it.  I think Tony is right
> and you need to do the partitioning manually and leave space for Ubuntu
> to install to.  One way I've done this before is to boot from the latest
> Ubuntu system rescue CD.

Hi, Tim.

As far as I can tell from the image that Darren posted the problem is
that there are already four primary partitions, which is the maximum for
a DOS partition table. If you want more, you need to make one of these
four an 'extended' partition. Just shrinking the windows C: partition
will not solve his problem. However, Darren could use WUBI to create a
'container' file in the Windows C: NTFS filesystem, and dual-boot from
that leaving his Windows partitions as they are now.

HTH,

   Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK