[Bio-Linux] New MrBayes-Multi uses OpenMPI

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 12:23:42 EDT 2011

On 16/06/11 17:11, Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> At a suggestion from Tony Travis I've switched our MrBayes package from
> using MPICH to OpenMPI.  This means that, after the update (version
> 3.1.2-4) you will no longer need to run mpd, but simply type:
>
> mpirun.openmpi -np 4 mb-multi
>
> Where "4" is the number of threads you actually want.  If you remove the
> libmpich2-1.2 package then you'll just be able to type:
>
> mpirun -np 4 mb-multi
>
> As far as I know the decision as to which MPI implementation to use
> before was essentially arbitrary, so I hope this won't cause a problem
> for anyone, but let me know if it does.

Hi, Tim.

It might be a good idea to put a conflict with mpich2 into the control,
because the MPI alternatives need to be set correctly to run OpenMPI
versions if both MPICH2 and OpenMPI are installed. I've purged MPICH2
from our Bio-Linux servers to avoid accidentally running the wrong
version of "mpirun", "mpicc", etc.

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK