[Bio-Linux] Problem booting installation DVD - biolinux 6

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 16:04:29 EDT 2010

On 16/07/10 17:51, Anthony Pemberton wrote:
> Hi Tony and Martin,
>
> After a very tedious morning here in sunny Birmingham, I have managed
> the first step of option #3 from Tony's list. I now have Ubuntu 10.04
> running on the server. To complete, do I just need to add the nebc
> repos to the sources file?

Hello, Tony.

If only it was that easy ;-)

I would copy the /etc/apt folder from Bio-Linux 6 and use that if you
want to be as compatible as possible. I've also got a little script I
use to compare package lists (attached). To compare your server with the
packages installed in Bio-Linux 6 use the list bio-linux-6.0.22.sel:

   dpkg-dsel localhost bio-linux-6.0.22.sel

I use this script to track my deliberate and accidental changes to
Bio-Linux, and to compare servers that other people have installed. Just
in case it's not self-evident, the list is the output from:

   dpkg --get-selections

> I tried option #1, by taking the SATA disk from the server and
> putting it in our Dell Precision 360 workstation and booting from the
> USB stick and then trying to do an install. For some obscure reason,
> the installer would not recognize the server disk, despite fdisk -l
> showing the disk and its partitions in all their glory using the
> USB-live system. I could even mount the partitions and see the files
> on them! After checking the Dell BIOS and my handy-work inside the
> Dell a few times, I gave up on option #1

Well, there's been a lot of talk on the Beowulf list lately about Dell
not supporting 'third-party' SATA drives in their servers...

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK