[Bio-Linux] Problem booting installation DVD - biolinux 6

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 11:49:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

Possibly the boot-USB-from-CD hack previously used by Tony T. would work
here
(http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-ubuntu-810/#more-680).
However, this is quite a faff and I've no idea if it still works on
Ubuntu 10.04.  If you already have Linux on the server you can also
bootstrap the kernel+initrd from your existing Grub on the hard drive,
but this requires knowledge of Grub configuration.  If it comes down to
it I could talk you through it on the phone next week.

Otherwise I'd second Tony's answer number 3 - install regular Ubuntu and
then beef it up with our packages.  I can send you a list of all
packages on Bio-Linux plus a tarball of all the R libraries which gets
you all the software.  You'll still be missing quite a few
customisations like the firewall setup, default user settings, desktop
icons, database configuration but for a server machine these may not all
be appropriate in any case.

Let me know what you want to do.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre