[Bio-Linux] OpenOffice.org in Bio-Linux 6

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 06:21:36 EDT 2010

On 25/08/10 11:13, Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it just me, or does OpenOffice.org seem to crash more frequently
> since moving from Bio-Linux 5 to Bio-Linux 6?  I seem to get problems
> especially when working with MS Office documents, but if I try a second
> time I can't reproduce the crash.

Hello, Tim.

I'm using it routinely on my laptop without any problems - So far!

> Have other people seen this?  Has anyone tried using the 3.2.1
> development packages instead? :
> https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

No, I *paid* for CrossOver Office to get ultimate compatibility(!).

   http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

In fact, I think it's OK to pay for 'free' software and support FLOSS
commercially: I'm using M$ Word (on a University site-licence) under
CrossOver Office (i.e. Wine) so that I can give our admin the *exact*
document format they want without having to dual boot, or run Windoze in
VirtualBox and hammer the limited resources of my ancient laptop.

HTH,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK