[Bio-Linux] phred/phrap/consed installation on Bio-linux

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Fri May 5 11:31:08 EDT 2006

Jose A. Andres wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  (Thanks in advance for all your help)
>
> I'd like  to install phred/phrap/consed into bio-linux4 but since I am not
> funded by the NEBC, I have to do it from the original files I got from
> Phil's Green lab. I should be able  to do it, but I am a bit confuse with
> the symlinks (and another couple of things) and  I'd like to get some
> extra advice from the community (if possible).

Hello, Jose.

I'm using phred/phrap/consed with Bio-Linux4, but Consed is not
supported (Bio-Linux uses GAP4). If you have already registered your use
of phred/phrap/consed then you should email NEBC and ask for their deb
packages to install phred/phrap in Bio-Linux. These packages cannot be
distributed freely, so you have to register your use as you have done.

I originally installed phred/phrap/consed from the same files that you
downloaded, but I've now replaced the phred/phrap component with files
from NEBC because I want to use GAP4 under Bio-Linux. However, I'm still
using Consed at the moment because I find it a lot easier to use!

I'm assembling a ~2Mb microbial genome - what are you using it for?

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687