[Bio-Linux] USB flash-drive on Bio-linux

Tony Pemberton a.j.pemberton at bham.ac.uk
Fri May 5 04:51:27 EDT 2006

Jose,

I think I see the problem. I just checked my system. Is your system
using sata or scsi disks? If so and this looks to be the case

/dev/sda1 is the root partition of your hard drive as detailed below

/dev/sda1       mounted on /

On my system I have an entry in /etc/fstab for the usb key:

/dev/sdc1       /media/usbkey   vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0

I notice when I plug my key into the usb port that the lamp above
the key slot flashes. This does not auto mount the key, but I have
an icon on the desktop "USB key" - when I click on it, that mounts
the key and gives me a graphical directory view of the top directory
on the key.

You need to discover which device  (/dev/sdc1 ?) is configured
for your usb key. I have tried the "Info Center", but the USB devices
section does not help in this regard. Perhaps someone else on the list
can shed light on this. Once you have discovered the device you could
try adding the entry to your fstab as above - perhaps try /dev/sdc1

For sure it will not be /dev/sda1

Regards,

Tony Pemberton