[Bio-Linux] Mapmaker on Bio-linux 4?

Dan Swan bioinformatics.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:42:50 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, Bela Tiwari <btiwari at ceh.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have taken a quick look at this program and it might be possible to compile it on Bio-Linux. However, it doesn't compile "out of the box", so before we go further, we were wondering if you, or anyone else on this list involved in linkage analysis, could let us know if MapMaker3 is still a popular program. If so, what differentiates it from other software out there?
>
> I notice that MapMaker3 not been upated since 1993. While this does not mean it is not a valuable piece of software, it does mean that we would like feedback from people in the user community as to whether it is a program we should be looking at further or not.

I can't speak for the community but it is still requested at Newcastle
by people doing linkage analysis and we have it installed for use.   A
lot of linkage software is quite venerable,  I think mainly because
its robust, and works and there isn't  much need to fiddle with it
anymore!

regards,

Dan
--
Senior Research Associate, Bioinformatics Support Unit,
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences,