[Genquire-dev] Using these mailing lists as a CVS report?

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:57:29 -0600

Hi again,

I find myself using these mailing lists (dev and user) as a report of bug
fixes.  I am wondering if anyone objects to that?  BioPerl has an automated
report of any code changes, which I quite like because I then know if I
should update my local copy... ours is not automated, but we are quite good
at using these lists to report code updates and changes.

I think this is good, but others may be annoyed at the amount of traffic on
this list.  On the other hand, until we arrive at a final stable release
(only a couple of days away, I promise!), these changes are important to
both developers and users.  Once the final release is out there I would
assume that we can drop most of the traffic on the -users list and restrict
the code change discussions to only the -dev list, since the developers
will presumably be the only ones using the cutting-edge code.

What do you all think about that?

Anyway, one more update to report.  Matt Links uncovered a bug that may
have existed in ShowSequenceContext for a loooong time.  It manifests
itself when changing feature boundaries of features on the '-' strand.
Although the display of the nucleotide sequence of the modified feature is
correct, the translation is not, and the underlying database feature itself
is not.  I fixed that bug just before lunch and have committed the fix.
cvs update to get it.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group