[Genquire-dev] to Commit or not to Commit

David Block dblock@gnf.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:54:51 -0800

On Thursday, December 20, 2001, at 07:22  AM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Hey!
>
> Would anyone object to me pulling the "auto" out of "autocommit"?

What the heck are you talking about?

>  I think it
> makes much more sense to have a "COMMIT" button on the main panel than
> to have
> the process automated.

You mean database updating not being live?  Which Commit are you
worrying about here?

>   It makes no sense to have commit as part of the
> database-only routines, since it is a useless function when working off
> of
> flat files.

Please re-read the above sentence.  The second part is true, but the
first in no way follows from the second.  What do you mean by 'database'?

>   Then the Context module could respond to a COMMIT event by, for
> example, saving a new flat-file containing the new data if that is the
> appropriate thing to do...

Yes, that is a good idea.  Flat files are much more of a 'edit->publish'
paradigm than a database which allows edits in-place.

>  (speaking of which, can BioPerl write Genbank
> files, as well as read them?  That would be way-cool!)

I'm pretty sure it does - SeqIO->write_seq?  EMBL->GenBank->EMBL is one
of the tests that is talked about on bioperl-l.

> Any objections?

Yes.  Good thing we have this list, eh?