[Bio-linux-list] The reports of Bio-Linux's death are greatly exaggerated

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 07:06:13 EST 2017

On 20/02/17 11:31, Andor J Kiss wrote:
> Hi Tony (& All).
>
> There are some US-UK funding opportunities for NSF (US) and BIO-UK BBSRC
> (UK) specifically for bioinformatics.  We might check into these and
> maybe generate a large project grant between several PIs to hire
> programmers/maintainers?

> What does everyone think?

Hi, Andor.

That would fit in well with my use of the fantastic NFS-funded CyVerse
"Atmosphere" training cluster at the University of Arizona, which I've
used several times now to run my "Introduction to Bio-Linux" courses.

> https://atmo.cyverse.org/application/images?q=bio-linux

I'm also looking into ways that we might fund running an "Atmosphere"
instance on our local OpenStack HPC service here at the University of
Aberdeen. There is a CyVerse UK project, but they did NOT get funding to
run "Atmosphere".

We tried to get BBSRC funding in the past, but we were unsuccessful.

Bye,

  Tony.

Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen
AB24 3UU, Scotland, UK. tel +44(0)1224 272700, fax +44 (0)1224 272 396
http://www.abdn.ac.uk, mailto:tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk, skype:ajtravis

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk