[Bio-linux-list] The reports of Bio-Linux's death are greatly exaggerated

Andreas Leimbach aleimba at gwdg.de
Sat Feb 18 12:11:30 EST 2017

Hi Tony,

thanks a lot for your efforts for keeping BioLinux alive! It's a
fantastic project, although Bioconda, linuxbrew etc. are becoming more
and more interesting alternatives for certain applications.

Sadly, I'm not that knowledgeable in funding, but for me BioLinux
definitely falls under the topic Open Science (OS). Thus, there might be
money to support dev in the current OS environment of funding agencies.
What about EU projects like Horizon 2020 that support OS?

https://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm

How is Debian Med funded?

Maybe the OKFN (https://science.okfn.org/) or Mozilla Science Lab
(https://science.mozilla.org/) have ideas how to tap funding agencies?
They should have mailing lists for asking such a question. After all
BioLinux is definitely mostly used by university affiliated researchers.

Just my 2 cents ...

Best,
Andreas