[Bio-linux-list] The reports of Bio-Linux's death are greatly exaggerated

Raony Guimaraes Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas raonyguimaraes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:25:06 EST 2017

Hi Tony,

Just would like to say a few words here. I sadly saw the development of
Biolinux packages stalling on Launchpad <https://launchpad.net/bio-linux>.

I still believe there is a place for a Bioinformatics targeted linux distro.

After speaking with Tim, I kind of felt he would like to see some of the
effort that was put on Biolinux going to DebianMed. What's your position in
terms of that ?

Do you have any estimate for the amount of money you would need to raise to
keep the development of Biolinux ? Have you considered using Patreon ?

Please don't let this project die! What's the plan and timeline to start
upgrading the packages to Xenial ?

My biggest suggestion would be to try to base the next release of Biolinux
on Ubuntu Mate <https://ubuntu-mate.org> 16.04, the lead developer also
lives in the UK (Martin Wimpress <https://plus.google.com/+MartinWimpress>).
Maybe we should even consider targeting the next 18.04 LTS release ... This
branch will effectively be created in October of this year.

What about snaps ? Have you considered packaging the current and future
bioinformatic tools we have using that ?

What's the road map for the project ? What are the most important packages
you guys are planning to start upgrading?

I'm currently living in Ireland, so I would love to visit you guys anytime
to have a more profound conversation about this things.

Kind Regards.

Raony Guimarães Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas
PhD in Bioinformatics

email: raonyguimaraes at gmail.com
skype/hangouts: raonyguimaraes
phone: +353 83 8389 337