[Bio-linux-list] FW: Upgrading Ubuntu version of BioLinux 8

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 04:58:32 EDT 2017

On 18/04/17 09:30, Timms-Wilson, Tracey wrote:
> [...]

Hi, Rajal.

Tracey has forwarded your email to me and I've CC'ed my reply to the
Bio-Linux mailing list in case anyone else has the same question.

It is possible to upgrade Bio-Linux 8 from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 LTS,
but a lot of packages will break and you will need to do quite a lot of
work to resolve dependency problems.

> As I don’t see any new Biolinux versions being released could you please
> let me know if its ok to upgrade my current Ubuntu Operating system via
> the usual ubuntu upgrading system. Will it corrupt the existing system
> and its dependencies.

I've upgraded my own Bio-Linux laptop, and several Bio-Linux servers, to
Ubuntu 16.04 as part of my preparations to create Bio-Linux 9, but I
would not recommend doing the upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 unless you are
prepared to fix a lot of dependency problems and do without packages
that depend on older Bio-Linux 8 packages that can't be installed under
Ubuntu 16.04 until those packages are upgraded.

If you do decide to go ahead, please post your experiences of upgrading
Bio-Linux 8 here so we can all help with the effort to create Bio-Linux
9 based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk