[Bio-linux-list] VB guest window resizing problem

Sara Rassner sararassner at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 07:31:56 EDT 2016

Hello,

I've been running Bio-Linux 8 in VirtualBox for some time and all of a sudden it's throwing up some issues related to VirtualBox.

Yesterday, it would not complete booting up, but get stuck on a black screen after the green Bio-Linux 8 logo with the green dots. After some repeated reloading of guest additions I got to the point where it would boot normally, but now I can no longer resize the Bio-Linux desktop within the guest window, but rather I'm stuck with a very small one (640x480, I think). In the past this has been a guest additions related problem, but this time I'm not sure how to solve it.

I'm running VirtualBox Version 5.0.20 r106931 with Extension pack 5.0.20
 r106931 and the most up-to-date Guest Additions (that came with the 5.0.20 update). After reading
suggestions elsewhere, I tried using Guest Additions 5.0.16. This didn't work, but in the process of swapping between the two guest additions versions, I managed to move from Bio-Linux not booting properly to booting. But I still can't resize the window. If it helps: In the guest window, the 'Auto-resize guest display' and 'virtual screen1' resizing options are all greyed out.

I should say that I've also got Mageia 5 in VB and that is running absolutely fine, window resizing as it should etc.

Any suggestions for how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Sara