[Bio-linux-list] uptdating softwares on biolinux

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 11:18:10 EST 2016

On 03/02/16 15:50, Flavia Flaviani wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> thank you so much for the advice. I will give it a try. just a quick
> final question, will I have to run both sudo command?

Hi, Flavia.

No, just get a "root" shell instead - e.g. on my laptop "beluga":

> ajt at beluga:~$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for ajt:
> root at beluga:~#

After that, you have root authority and don't need to use "sudo".

I normally access Bio-linux on terminal servers via "ssh" or "x2go" and
update them without any problems - The only time you need to access the
physical console of a Bio-Linux server is if you need to boot single
user to run diagnostics, or do a clean install. In fact, you can do a
remote install of Bio-Linux if someone boots the remote server from a
DVD or USB-stick locally for you and enables "ssh" for the 'live' user.

> We access through
> Remote desktop connection or ssh into Biolinux, do you reckon I will
> have to have access to the real machine after the update?

I recently did remote installations of Bio-Linux on some servers at the
Mario Negri Institute in Milan, from my office here in Scotland, with
help from my friend in Milan who booted their servers from a Bio-Linux
USB-stick and enabled "ssh" for the 'live' user so that I could login.

I've used this approach many times before to do remote diagnostics and
disaster recovery of Bio-Linux running on remote servers around Europe.

With an IPMI connection you can access the remote console directly, but
it is a serious security vulnerability to expose IPMI on the Internet.

Let me know how you get on?

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk