[Bio-linux-list] uptdating softwares on biolinux

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 10:33:56 EST 2016

On 03/02/16 15:27, Flavia Flaviani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In our lab we just install biolinux 8. I am new to biolinux and I have
> notice that some of the versions of software in biolinux 8 are not the
> latest (i.e. blast and swarm). I will need to update this versions for
> all the users so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on  how to
> update them without creating conflicts? I have tried to look at swarm
> documentation here: https://github.com/torognes/swarm but it seems not
> to have any information on updating and I am not sure if just
> downloading the new file will do the trick.
>
> Same for ncbi blast, does anyone know a way to update the version on
> biolinux 8 quickly?

Hi, Flavia.

Before you do anything, make sure your Bio-Linux 8 is up-to-date:

  sudo apt update
  sudo apt full-upgrade

The .iso image used to create the DVD or USB-stick is just a snapshot of
the Bio-Linux + Debian-Med + Debian + Ubuntu repositories at the time it
was made: If you don't enable upgrades during an install, the first
thing you have to do after installation is to update Bio-Linux.

HTH,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk