[Bio-Linux] Portable biolinux not booting in Dell inspiron 3000

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 07:41:38 EDT 2015

Hi Bish,

Your image of the error seems to have been eaten by the mailing list
server.  Could you please paste it onto pasteboard.co (or somewhere
similar) and send the link?

There can be issues with UEFI and Linux but this is normally because of
flaky UEFI implementations and Dells should behave themselves so I think
it should be possible to achieve what you want and get it to boot
reliably.  From your description I can't tell if the error regarding
USB-3 is coming from Grub or from the Kernel.  Hopefully when I see the
screenshot image it will be clear.

Once I can see where in the boot process the error is occurring I think
we can use the Gateway laptop to fix the system on the drive.  If you
plug the external drive into your Gateway it boots right up, right?  If
so, things we can do are:

1) Disable the boot logo and reveal all the diagnostic messages
2) Force Grub to load all relevant drivers
3) Rebuild the initrd to ensure the kernel properly starts the USB3
stack before mounting the root filesystem
4) Upgrade the kernel to the "utopic" or "vivid" backport version.  I
can't do this on the regular ISO because it stuffs up VirtualBox client
driver support, but it might well fix your problem.

Anyway, post up the image and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

TIM