[Bio-Linux] Biolinux 8, pymol and Tkinter error using the builder function

chiara cocconcelli chiara.cocconcelli1 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 04:55:14 EDT 2015

Hi all,
I'm using Biolinux 8 with pymol from the repositories but I am encountering
a tkinter-related bug. Steps to reproduce:

1) open pymol
2) in the list of buttons on the right click the Builder one
3) in the panel that opens click Protein on the left

the function is not called and this error is raised:

Error: 1
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'> Exception in Tk callback
  Function: <bound method Builder.toggleChemProtein of
<pmg_tk.skins.normal.builder.Builder instance at 0x7ffb82e56ea8>> (type:
<type 'instancemethod'>)
  Args: ()
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Pmw/Pmw_1_3/lib/PmwBase.py", line
1747, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pmg_tk/skins/normal/builder.py",
line 1458, in toggleChemProtein
    if self.chemFrame.grid_info():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 2000, in grid_info
    self.tk.call('grid', 'info', self._w))
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer,
_tkinter.Tcl_Obj found

I can provide debugging on request and I have a bit of python
understanding, please let me know how I can best diagnose this problem
thanks in advance,
regards