[Bio-Linux] is it possible to install biolinux on a dell server with 64Gb RAM and 16 cores?

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 13:19:43 EDT 2015

On 27/03/15 16:54, Stefano Campanaro wrote:
> Hi,
> I would install biolinux on a recently acquired DELL server with 64Gb
> RAM and 16 cores. I would have some suggestions from users that are
> using bio linux on servers with similar characteristics.

Hi, Stefano.

I'm running Bio-Linux 8 on three Tyan S8230-based servers with dual
8-core Opteron 6128 CPU's and 128GiB RAM in each at the University of
Aberdeen. I installed Bio-Linux onto a partitionable RAID6, but boot
from a RAID1 because GRUB can't boot from a degraded RAID6 - OK to boot
from RAID6 if it's not degraded.

I've also set up Bio-Linux terminal servers many times in the past, for
example at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology in Edinburgh, and
I helped my friends at Assam Agricultural University set up Bio-Linux 8
servers there for a training course we held recently.

Bio-Linux 8 works very well as an "x2go" or SSH terminal server, thanks
to the efforts that Tim and his team at EOS have put into Bio-Linux 8.

I've got 10 at SATA2 drives in each of our three Bio-Linux servers here:

6 at 2TB:
	RAID1 /boot
	RAID6 /, swap, /usr/local, /home, work

2 at 4TB:
	JBOD /backup1
	JBOD /backup2

2 at 4TB:
	JBOD /archive
	JBOD /scratch

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help?

If you boot your server from a Bio-Linux USB-stick and let me in through
your firewall I can install it for you remotely. I've done this several
times already for disaster recovery on an EU FP-6 project.

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk