[Bio-Linux] shared folders disappeared after update

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 05:21:46 EST 2015

Hi Parham,

Sorry to hear about this.  Let's check things through one step at a
time, though I'm sure you've done most of this already:

1) In the VM, check that all updates applied successfully.  You can do
this in the terminal like so:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You should see 0 to install and 0 errors.

2) Type 'groups' and see if the list includes the word 'vboxsf'.  If
not, run:

sudo usermod -aG vboxsf $USER

3) Shut down the VM

4) In the shared folder settings in the VM, remove the shared folder
definition and recreate it from scratch with the options 'auto-mount'
and 'make permanent' selected.

5) Boot up the VM

6) In the VM, open up a terminal and give the command:

sudo VBoxControl --nologo sharedfolder list

What do you see?

7) Also, give the command:

ls -l /media

Again, what do you see?

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England