[Bio-Linux] Problems with Tophat

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 11:27:10 EST 2015

Hi Suzanne,

The first thing to note is that Tophat and Tophat2 are actually the same
program.
(Unlike Bowtie and Bowtie2 which are different)

The second thing I noticed is you have Tophat 2.0.9 so this is
definitely out-of-date.  To check and install updates ensure you are
logged in as a user with "sudo" privileges and then start the Software
Updater.  To find that, click on the swirly icon at the top left of your
screen and then type "update" into the search box.  This should bring up
the relevant icon and guide you through the rest.

If you are only running in the terminal, or if the graphical updater
gives you errors, then you can do it this way:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Let me know if that works/helps.

In general, we can't do fully transparent updates of all software so you
do need to check every so often and accept new updates.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England