[Bio-Linux] Boiling updates

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 05:57:04 EST 2015

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear that.  I'm not aware of any problems with updates (boiling
or otherwise) this week, but I've seen similar problems before - most
recently this issue which affected VM users:

http://nebclists.nerc.ac.uk/pipermail/bio-linux/2015-January/000742.html

It's normally due to a graphics driver update issue.  I'm assuming you
are not using Bio-Linux in a VM here?  Do you use the NVidia 3rd party
driver packages?  If not:

1) At the login screen select the MATE desktop
2) Open a new terminal and type the following (each on one line)
3) sudo apt-get purge nvidia-331-updates
   nvidia-opencl-icd-331-updates nvidia-prime nvidia-settings
   libhwloc-plugins
4) sudo apt-get update
5) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
6) mkdir my_old_dot_files
7) mv ~/.local ~/.g* my_old_dot_files/
8) sudo reboot

Does that solve it?  If not, please describe what happens as you try to
follow the above steps and hopefully that will give me a clue what is
wrong.

Cheers,

TIM

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 20:38 +0000, Suzanne Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated biolinux today from the software updater, and restarted the
> computer. Now, it’s allowing me to login, but once I log in there are
> no icons on the screen, nothing. Just the wallpaper. Any idea what is
> going on??? Is there something wrong with this update?
>
> Suzanne

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England