[Bio-linux-list] [Bio-Linux-list] Can't install Biolinux8 in DELL Precision T5810

Xavier de Pedro xavier.depedro at vhir.org
Tue Dec 15 07:01:38 EST 2015

Hi Xavi and all:

And just in case, ensure that you keep your persistent file below 4Gb on
a fat32 partition (otherwise, it won't use your changes).

In addition, seeing "Ubuntu 12.04" might indicate that you didn't
succeed at making the right LiveUSB disk out of current Biolinux8.

My 2 cents

Xavier

El 15/12/15 a les 12:54, Tim Booth ha escrit:
> Hi Xavi,
>
> [Note - I've switched the discussion to the new mailing list server]
>
> I've seen similar issues where the driver tries to initialise the
> graphics card and the whole thing just locks up.  It think you are on
> the right track booting the USB on a working machine and trying to
> tinker with the drivers, but I'd follow this guide and add the
> enablement drivers for X (I can't do this by default as it totally
> breaks VirtualBox support):
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>
> On the working machine you should also do an integrity check on the USB
> to be sure.
>
> I'm surprised that removing "quiet splash" didn't at least give you some
> boot messages.  If you replace "quiet splash" with the word "text" you
> should boot straight to a command prompt.  Does that work?
>
> I'm also surprised by this bit:
>
>> it only boot in an Ubuntu 12.04 (instead of 14.04) GUI
> Bio-Linux 8 is 100% Ubuntu 14.04 so I'm not sure what this indicates.
> If you get to the text prompt as noted above run "lsb_release -a".  This
> should confirm that you are on trusty/14.04
>
> Cheers,
>
> TIM
>
> On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 20:09 +0100, Xavier Martínez Serrano wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Recently we are trying to install Biolinux on a DELL Precision T5810
>> machine, but despite lot of trials
>> we did not succeed. We burned Biolinux ISO into USB and DVD but none
>> of this works, we are only
>> able to reach  the install menu ("Try Biolinux ", "Install Biolinux",
>> "Check files", ...), after that a black
>> screen appears and nothing else, no response from either USB or DVD.
>>

>> We tried to boot with "nomodeset", "noacpl/nolapic" or
>> "vga=normal/vga=771" and removing
>> "quiet splash" options to see what is happening. None of the
>> combinations were successful.
>>

>> We figured out that that could be related to the graphic card: AMD
>> Firepro W5100, therefore we
>> installed "flrgrx" driver in USB-Biolinux Live (we kept 5GB within it
>> for persistent files). But still
>> no luck, it only boot in an Ubuntu 12.04 (instead of 14.04) GUI and
>> when clicking to "Installl Biolinux"
>> the applications seem to start but then closes unexpectedly
>> complaining on "dbus".
>>

>> We also tried to install original AMD Firepro drivers but no luck
>> either.
>>

>> If someone could give us an idea of what is it happening or what could
>> we try ?
>>

>> Thank you ,
>>

>> Xavi

Xavier de Pedro Puente, Ph.D.
Statistics and Bioinformatics Unit (UEB)
Vall d'Hebron Research Institute (VHIR)
Passeig de la Vall d'Hebron, 119-129
08035 Barcelona. Catalonia. Spain

Ph. +34 934894007 / Fax +34 934894015