[Bio-Linux] Portable biolinux not booting in Dell inspiron 3000

Bishwa Kiran kirannbishwa01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 11:45:22 EDT 2015

I have been trying to install a portable bio-linux OS on external hdd. I
have followed the instructions given for portable ubuntu/bilinux
installation which has been sucessful and also made sure the boot/grub
loader is installed in the external harddrive (seagate 2 tb) during
installation. After the completion of bio-linux installation it requests
the restart and biolinux boots up. But, after the 2nd boot the boot widow
of biolinux gives me an error (that a USB-3 port is not available or is
offline). I have installed biolinux several times thinking the installation
may have missed the files but it always turns out the same way- 1st restart
works but after the second restart/boot there is an error message.
My desktop is Dell inspiron 3000 (i3) which by default uses UEFI boot
system and I have disabled it while preparing the biolinux installation and
have used legacy mode (modified BIOS setting).
One interesting thing is that the same portable biolinux OS which didn't
boot from desktop boots from my gateway laptop every time though. So, the
problem basically is that the USB-3 port is not getting recognized while
booting. I tried another USB-3 port which gave same error, all other  USB 2
port however show biolinux OS loading (shows a loading Biolinux logo) but
never fully boots even after 2-3 hours.

I have been trying to make this work for 5 days now. I need to use this
portable OS mainly on my desktop due it its higher performance and also I
have to keep things running overnight.
Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.

I took the picture of the error message.

--
- Bish