[Bio-Linux] Fresh install - partitioning?

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 08:34:03 EDT 2014

On 16/10/14 12:03, Vikram Chhatre wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I have tried going both ways, creating
> partitions or having the system do it.  I am ending up with the same
> error in both cases.
>
> “The grub efi amd64 signed package failed to install into /target/.
> Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.”
>
> The Ubuntu forum search hasn't been too useful with this error.  Do you
> any suggestions?

Hi, Vikram.

My colleague recently had a problem installing Bio-Linux 8 on an EFI
Windows laptop and it turned out to be that Ubuntu detected EFI and
installed "grub-efi" instead of "grub-pc". However, he was booting
Windows in 'legacy' MBR mode and "grub-install" failed. After a bit of
poking around, I realised why it was not working and did what Tim
described to install "grub-pc" in a chroot, then "grub-install" and
rebooted successfully. I think Ubuntu and EFI works OK, unless you are
booting Windows in 'legacy' MBR mode.

HTH,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.