[Bio-Linux] HWE error with Biolinux

Brian Golding brian at helix.biology.mcmaster.ca
Fri Jul 18 08:27:57 EDT 2014

Upon login, I have started to get the message listed below.

(1) Are you working on a new version of Biolinux and should I simply wait
for that or (2) should I try the HWE upgrade or (3) would a release
upgrade completely break the system?

Brian

Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-52-generic x86_64)

 * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

12 packages can be updated.
11 updates are security updates.

Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is going out of support
on 08/07/14.  After this date security updates for critical parts
(kernel
and graphics stack) of your system will no longer be available.

For more information, please see:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL

To upgrade to a supported (or longer supported) configuration:

* Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS by running:
sudo do-release-upgrade

OR

* Install a newer HWE version by running:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-trusty

and reboot your system.

Last login: