[Bio-Linux] Problem with package catalogue. Nothing can be installed anymore

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 05:09:31 EDT 2014

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you are having these problems.  The package manager is
normally very good at keeping your system in a consistent state, but
sometimes it can get stuck and needs a bit of help.  The first thing to
do is to use the command-line tool "apt-get", as this will give you
better diagnostic information and also provides options you can't get
through the GUI.

Please open a shell terminal and give the command:

sudo apt-get -f install

This should be the same as the "repair the catalogue" option but will
give more diagnostic output.  I'm guessing that the
oracle-java8-installer package is stuck in a half-installed state so you
can tell the system to remove it:

sudo apt-get remove oracle-java8-installer

or if that fails, you can speak more firmly to it:

sudo dpkg -P --force-all oracle-java8-installer

Where does that get you?

My personal advice would be to download the regular Java 8 release from
Oracle and install it into /opt or /usr/local, as I've had similar
issues in the past with these installer-wrapper packages and you don't
really gain much by using them.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England