[Bio-Linux] BioLinux8 Dockerfile

Booth, Timothy G. tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 09:40:07 EST 2014

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again.  I know you are no longer in London but are you still working with the QMUL guys on this?  I know Docker is a big thing to them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.  Lots of people are talking about Docker but it's hard for me to see how it leads to making things that real biologists want to use - almost certainly a failure of my own imagination!

To answer your question, I'd suggest the following approach - take a fresh Bio-Linux VM (ie. the .ova download) then remove the Gnome and X libs packages.  Lots of packages that depend on them will be removed.  Then you can diff the master package list from the upgrade script and the packages you have left on the system to get your blacklist.  I'm sure there are other approaches but this is the one that springs to mind.

(Actually, a really quick way could be to blacklist all the packages that contain a .desktop file, but this won't be as accurate as the other method).

Cheers,

TIM