[Bio-Linux] biolinux 8, Tophat incompatible with Bowtie2

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 12:24:27 EST 2014

Hi All,

I've now updated tophat, bowtie, bowtie2 and cufflinks on Bio-Linux.
The new packages will be installed via the update manager as usual.

This time I tested Tophat as described here:
http://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/tutorial.shtml#test

With the old packages if I run this it says there is no bowtie2.  Now it
finds and uses it, so I'm taking this to mean it all works, but if you
find there are still issues please let me know.

Regarding TopHat freezing with -p >= 4, I'm really not sure.  Sometimes
if you increase the threads too much in a data-centric application you
can overwhelm the IO bus which freezes things up badly unless you have a
server-grade machine with SCSI disks.  Any chance things have improved
with the new packages?

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England