[Bio-Linux] New cluster

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 09:59:54 EDT 2014

On 14/08/14 14:19, Tim Booth wrote:
> [...]
> When you say "[lack of space] causes a problem with uncompressing our
> dump file", I though the "restore" command did all the decompression
> on-the-fly in RAM and didn't require spare space?  Or am I
> mis-remembering?  I've not had to use it in years as we have on-line
> backups here.  Where exactly in the process do you hit problems?

Hi, Tim and Alec.

Tim is right that "restore" can uncompress on the fly (or read a pipe),
but unless you are restoring 'in-place' you need somewhere to store the
extracted files - e.g. to restore "filename" to /var/tmp from a level 0
backup of /home mounted on /dev/md1p4::

  mount /backups
  cd /var/tmp
  restore -if /backups/md1p4.bak.0
  add filename
  extract

This approach means that you can search interactively for the files you
want to recover in the dump index and only extract those files. You can
also restore files in place if you are *sure* you are not going to
overwrite files you want to keep. e.g. to restore "filename" in place:

  mount /backups
  cd /home
  restore -if /backups/md1p4.bak.0
  add filename
  extract

HTH,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.