[Bio-Linux] New cluster

Alec Colebrook-Clark aleleb at sahfos.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:56:10 EDT 2014

Hi Tim et all,

We are looking at expanding our biolinux infrastructure and implementing a biolinux cluster. The first question I have is would it be better to use a virtual infrastructure than a physical? A colleague has suggested that there is a loss of power with the virtual solution but does it noticeably affect the work being done on biolinux?

Secondly, is there any advice on a backup solution. We currently have a 4TB HDD in our biolinux and back it up using the dump command to an external HDD. This was sufficient until we started peaking at 3TB of data. This causes a problem with uncompressing our dump file as we don't have enough space.

Thanks in advance
Alec