[Bio-Linux] System on Parallels broken after updates

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue May 21 13:11:55 EDT 2013

Hi,

> compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin
> '/usr/lib/compiz/libopengl.so' : libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory

OK, I don't know why this has happened on your system but the error
above appears to be the root cause.  The libGL.so.1 is a shared library
file needed by the Unity desktop.  On my machine it's found at:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1

And is owned by the package libgl1-mesa-glx (as revealed by dpkg -S).
Could you please do:

dpkg -l '*libgl1*'

I get a report like the one below.  All the "un" lines are virtual
packages and are not relevant.  Does libgl1-mesa-glx show up as being
installed on your system?  What if you try to install/reinstall it?

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx

Does that put the file back?

Cheers,

TIM

||/ Name                     Version                  Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
un  libgl1                   <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgl1-mesa-dev          8.0.4-0ubuntu0.5         free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX development files
un  libgl1-mesa-dev-lts-quan <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-mesa-dev-lts-rari <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri          8.0.4-0ubuntu0.5         free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
un  libgl1-mesa-dri-dev      <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-mesa-dri-experime <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx          8.0.4-0ubuntu0.5         free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX runtime
un  libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quan <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-rari <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-mesa-glx-no-multi <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev    <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgl1-nvidia-alternativ <none>                   (no description available)