[Bio-Linux] A Unity Lens (ie. a better applications menu) for Bio-Linux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 06:52:17 EST 2013

Hi,

Sasa is right that this controversial feature (unity-lens-shopping) is
not in Ubuntu 12.04 and therefore has no relevance to Bio-Linux 7.

When releasing Bio-Linux, I know that the system is used in both
corporate and government environments where data protection is a legal
requirement, and so it's imperative that the system doesn't leak data to
third parties.  It's probably worth noting that I already remove things
like the Ubuntu One client and automated crash reporting from Bio-Linux
as these can send data to third parties and I don't think they are
services most Bio-Linux users will want.  I'd almost certainly remove
things like the shopping lens for the same reason.

My personal opinion, as an Ubuntu user, is that Canonical should be able
to achieve their aims for Ubuntu, and make themselves some cash, in a
way that leaves the user in control and does not compromise privacy.  I
hope we'll see these changes in forthcoming releases, and if so I'll
probably use the features happily at home but I'll also remove them from
Bio-Linux.

(BTW - I can assure you, the new Bioinformatics lens for Bio-Linux
doesn't do any web searching at all)

Cheers,

TIM

On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 14:25 +0000, Sasa Paporovic wrote:
> The switch to Debian is one possibility, but you can also do on a
> terminal
>
> sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
>
> This deletes the component(unity shopping lens) of the unity desktop
> that causes the information traffic to amazon and canonical.
>
> BTW: AFAIK Biolinux 7 is based on Ubuntu12.04(Precise). In this
> version is no unity shopping lens. It was first introduced at the end
> of the development phase of Ubuntu12.10(Quantal). With this it has
> never reached Biolinux.

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England