[Bio-Linux] Cannot install on Ubuntu "Depends: bio-linux-base-directories:i386 (>= 1.0-1) but it is not installable"

Tony Travis tony.travis at ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 15:16:35 EST 2012

On 06/12/12 19:43, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 03:56:53PM +0000,
>   Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk> wrote
>   a message of 84 lines which said:
>
>> Ape is one such package.  Ubuntu 10.04 wouldn't see this package at
>> all as it is i386/32-bit but 12.04 tries to install it anyway and
>> then it wants an i386 compatibility library that doesn't exist.
>
> OK, I understand, thanks for the explanations (I just used the script
> from
> <https://github.com/mchelen/bio-linux-tools/blob/master/bio-linux-install.sh>,
> which includes many of these obsolete packages.)
>
>> If you have Ubuntu 12.04, you should install the package
>> bio-linux-shared, which will force you to remove
>> bio-linux-base-directories.
>
> Done.
>
>> Anything which insists on putting bio-linux-base-directories back is
>> a legacy package and either superseded or no longer supported.
>
> bio-linux-emboss for instance :-(

Hi, Stephane and Tim.

It's not just "bio-linux-emboss", these packages all depend on
"bio-linux-base-directories:

bio-linux-emboss
bio-linux-estscan
bio-linux-prank
bio-linux-qiime
bio-linux-rdp-classifier
bio-linux-seaview
bio-linux-transterm-hp
bio-linux-trnascan
bio-linux-wise2

I'm struggling to get my Bio-Linux 7 system "aptitude -f install" clean,
but can't install these packages from the NEBC repository. The previous
versions installed were flagged as "local or obsolete" in Synaptic, so I
forced the version (before Tim's earlier post to the list). I'm
comparing the package lists on my system with the casper manifest of
Bio-Linux 7.0.2.

Bye,

   Tony.