[Bio-Linux] Fresh Install - Questions

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Aug 9 04:55:03 EDT 2011

On 08/08/11 20:46, Raony Guimaraes Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> My name is Raony Guimarães, I'm graduated in Biomedical Informatics and
> starting a new PhD in Bioinformatics. I have a long time experience with
> linux and decided to give a try on Biolinux 6.0.

Hi, Raony.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bio-Linux :-)

> My first question would be: Should upgrade or update the system after a
> fresh install ?

You should update

> Second question: Will I loose the packages for bioinformatics If I
> upgrade the system?

Bio-Linux is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and if you upgrade you might
encounter problems installing packages developed for ubuntu 10.04 LTS
not installing in later versions because of incompatibilities. However,
CBL (Cloud Bio-Linux) builds are available current versions of Ubuntu.

> Third Question: Is there a forum outside where I can ask all my
> questions or only this mail-list ?

Yes, there is the Debian Med forum, because Bio-Linux is becoming
increasingly involved in using their packages.

HTH,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK