[Bio-Linux] odd and confounding behavior with BioLinux distros 5 and 6

John Bradsher bradshej at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 16:29:21 EDT 2011

Hello Tony:

Yes, the sequence and process as you see it in the last response is exactly
what I'd expect should happen. But, alas, that doesn't happen, which is the
source of my confusion. I've entered the BIOS several times and specified
the boot order, but I always get the same thing: booting only to ubuntu
10.10, even with the bio-linux 5 iso in the boot drive.
Any insights would be welcome.
Thanks,

John Bradsher

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Tony Travis <a.travis at abdn.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 16/04/11 22:57, John Bradsher wrote:
>
>> Hello Tony:
>> Well, thanks for the confirmation on that. I had suspected this, even if
>> some of the specs for the Pentium 4 suggest that it has the 64-bit
>> architecture.
>>

> Hi, John.
>
> Sorry, I should have said that *most* Pentium 4's are 32-bit, and I suspect
> that your's is a 32-bit one. Intel did ship versions of the Pentium 4 with
> 64-bit extensions and, the 'Core' chipsets are derived from Pentium
> processors anyway. You are quite right that some of the 'high-end' Pentium
> 4's were in fact 64-bit, but not the ones used in 'commodity' PC's. They
> were used in high-end workstations or servers.
>

>  However, the real problem comes from being unable to boot from the disk
>> with the BL5 iso image. As I stated before, I can only imagine that this
>> results from having the more recent ubuntu 10.10 kernel running on the
>> Pentium 4 machine. Is there any reason this should happen? Is there any
>> workaround for the problem?
>>

> I'm a bit confused, because if you boot off the Bio-Linux 5 'live' DVD, you
> will be running a 32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 kernel even if you have a 10.10 kernel
> installed on your hard disk. The DVD does not read files off the hard disk.
> All it does is use the swap file if one is present.
>

> HTH,
>
>  Tony.
> --
> Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
> and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK
> tel +44(0)1224 712751, fax +44(0)1224 716687, http://www.rowett.ac.uk
> mailto:a.travis at abdn.ac.uk, http://bioinformatics.rri.sari.ac.uk

John Bradsher