[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux5 local documentation

Stewart Houten shou at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 07:26:40 EST 2009

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the bug report.  As you will have seen I have copied
this email into our helpdesk as this issue relates to a bug in the
Emboss package rather than more generally to Bio-Linux.

I have fixed the bug in the package now so at the next update all
machines should get fixed documentation.  Since the files under emboss
are installed by the package I would resist the temptation to modify
things directly as it will likely cause conflicts with apt updates
down the line.  I'm sure you can work around this when it arises,
Tony, but others may have more difficulty.  FYI, our package
convention is such that /usr/local/bioinf/EMBOSS/EMBOSS provides a
link to EMBOSS-6.0.1 in the same directory and allows for future
versions to point to the current installation.  It might be worth
noting for the future.

Thanks also for pointing out the documentation URL issue.  This
doesn't cause an issue on a standard Bio-Linux setup but I can see
that absolute URLs are redundant and how it causes a problem when
trying to browse the docs across the network.  Again the docs content
is provided by a package, but the content is generated by a script
that produces our live web version and the modified package content.
When I have a little more time I will take another look at this.

Regards,
Stewart
--
Dr Stewart Houten, Bio-Linux Developer
NEBC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR