[Bio-Linux] top five uses of Bio-Linux?

Keith Jolley keith.jolley at medawar.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 08:53:39 EDT 2008

Hi Dawn,

For me it would be (in descending order):

- knowing collaborators have the same local system:  we mirror web
databases for MLST.  Apart from apache and postgresql, this system
requires BLAST, EMBOSS, BioPerl and various Perl libraries.  Knowing
these are installed and in a standard location makes this relatively simple.

- I use the repository to build other systems:  I haven't used the
standard image now for a while as our hardware is too variable.
Installing Debian and then the Bio-Linux debs is straightforward and
works fine on everything I've tried it on.

- I use Bio-Linux to build teaching labs, teach students, use in
demonstrations:  We run a course which involves participants assembling
sequence data using Staden and STARS.  They can connect to one of our
Bio-Linux machines using NX client, and freenx server.

- Ease of installation
- Full-featured programming/database development environment

Best wishes
Keith

--
Dr. Keith Jolley
The Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research