[Bio-Linux] Cloud computing...

Martin Gollery marty.gollery at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 10:55:50 EST 2008

Many people do not have the funds for a BlueGene/L, nor the need for
such a thing on a regular basis, as WSU and VBI recently announced.
The throughput was very impressive, but the cost is in the millions of
dollars.

If a researcher had a job that was bigger than what he or she could
easily do on the standard BioLinux system, then a 20 CPU instance can
be started at Amazon for 80 cents (US) per hour. If there is a
deadline looming, the data could be divided into, say, ten parts and
run on ten instances for a total of 8 dollars per hour.

This does not 'lock you into a proprietary system'. Running HMMer on a
cloud today does not prevent you from running it on your own server
tomorrow, your mac the next day, and windows the next. Why would
anybody think that? A Linux instance runs like Linux.

Marty

Martin Gollery
Senior Bioinformatics Scientist