[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Upgrade

Stewart Houten shou at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 10:17:41 EDT 2007

Dear All,

The base-system underlying Bio-Linux was recently upgraded making
Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, codenamed "Etch", the new stable release.  This
upgrade provides support for a greater range of hardware and makes
available many new and updated software packages including R v2.4,
OpenOffice v2.0 and more [1].

The upgrade will *not* be done automatically via the nightly update
mechanism and will need to be performed by the systems administrator.
To help with this we have put together a detailed set of upgrade
instructions specific to Bio-Linux which will hopefully catch any
pitfalls that might be encountered.  Alternatively, if you wish to
reinstall your machine with our updated image then please contact us
and request a new installation CD.

For further information visit our website[2].

Please take the time to perform the upgrade and let us know via the
helpdesk <helpdesk at nebc.nox.ac.uk> if you have any problems or queries.

Regards,
Stewart

[1] http://www.us.debian.org/News/2007/20070408
[2] http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/envgen/software/archives/000576.html

--
Dr Stewart Houten, Bio-Linux Developer
NEBC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR