[Bio-Linux] How to add more disk space to my Biolinux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 05:31:25 EST 2007

Hi Martin,

As I recently bought an external USB2+FireWire drive for use with Linux,
I'll add a quick reply.  If you want to go for an external drive then
all the ones you can get from Dabs/Amazon/PC World etc. etc. will work
on Linux after being reformatted.  All external drives are slow compared
to internal SATA ones but FireWire is faster than USB2.  As I only use
my drive for large, rarely accessed files and backups I have no problem
with the speed and am very happy with it.

A couple of people have now asked about this, so it may well be time to
add some info to the website.  There is no one-size-fits-all answer but
I'd say that in general you want to start by asking these questions:

      * How much extra space do you want?
      * How much money do you have?
      * Is this space for a particular project/person or do you just
        want to beef up the machine in general?
      * Does the storage need to be fast?
      * How are you going to manage backups?  (Network backup?
        Removable media? Extend the Bio-Linux double-drive system?)
      * If thinking about an external drive, do you want to move this
        between machines?  Do you want to share data with Mac/Windows?

Cheers,

TIM

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:55 +0000, Ashley Morley wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Your Dell Precision 670 machine supports up to 4 internal hardrives,
> and you are currently using two 80GB (7200rpm) SATA drives installed.
>
> If you want to increase capacity, then you can order up to two more
> internal hard drives from Dell (your current spec below) and install
> them (or maybe order larger drives if required). The Dell website for
> ordering these items is
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=uk&category_id=6210&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&~ck=anav
>
> DELL
> 80 GB (7200 RPM) SATA2 Hard Drive for Dell Precision /670 Minitower Systems
> Usually Ships: 5-7 Days
> Manufacturer Part: 400-11744
> Dell Part: 400-11744
> Price £39.00
>
> I would suggest you use Dell components so that Dell remains your one contact for warranty issues. Instructions for installing the drives should come with the item, but I am sure your IT department would be able to advise on that.
>
> You could also use an external hard drive. Perhaps another user has experience of using one?
>
> Hope this helps
> Ashley

> Hello,
>
> By any chance is there a guide to adding more disk space to my Biolinux box?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Martin

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NEBC at CEH Oxford