[Bio-Linux] Phylip 'factor' program

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sun Sep 10 10:28:23 EDT 2006

I've just encountered a name clash with the Phylip 'factor' program,
which is installed under Bio-Linux as:

/usr/local/bin/factor -> /usr/local/bioinf/phylip/phylip/bin/factor

and the 'standard' Linux 'factor' program installed in:

	/usr/bin/factor

Normally, /usr/local/bin precedes /usr/bin in the default PATH, so the
Phylip version takes precedence. However, this breaks the 'standard'
version and I suggest renaming the Bio-Linux 'factor' - For example:

	/usr/local/bin/factor.phylip.

Alternatively, you could have a 'phylip' command/shell that sets up the
correct paths for Phylip and don't install links to the Phylip programs
in /usr/local/bin. I do this with Staden for similar reasons(!):

--- cut here --- cut here ---
#!/bin/sh
# @(#)staden.sh  2005-11-29  A.J.Travis

#
# Set up environment for Staden package
#

export STADENROOT=/usr/local/staden
         . $STADENROOT/staden.profile

export PS1="[\u@\h \W]\:staden$ "
exec /bin/sh
--- cut here --- cut here ---

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687