[Bio-Linux] new packages on Bio-Linux - taverna, estscan and prot4est

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 17:26:09 EST 2005

Bela Tiwari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is an email to alert you to new Bio-Linux packages available:
>

> 1) Taverna
>
> Taverna is a graphical interface allowing you to harness the many
> bioinformatics functions being offered as web services to create
> customised pipelines to accomplish tasks from the simple to the
> complex. Example workflows come with the program to help you get a
> feel for what is possible. The first time a user runs taverna on
> Bio-Linux, they are offered the opportunity to copy the examples that
> come with taverna into their home directory. These example workflow
> files are saved to a folder called tavernaExamples. Some of the
> examples are rather complex, but some simpler ones which are easier
> to understand are provided such as:

Hello, Bela.

Good stuff! I noticed Taverna appear in your public deb repository :-)

I've installed it from the *.deb repository on wildcat.rri.sari.ac.uk
under Debian 'stable' (i.e not under Bio-Linux) but it crashed and
burned: can't find the plugins folder. Anyone else had this problem?

I've installed the Sun 1.5.0_03 JRE under Debian using java-package, and
Jemboss works fine.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687